Sunday, January 9, 2011

Have a Donut (or Two)

The donuts in my new Hero Arts set were not that appealing to me when I first saw them.  I bought the set mostly for the coffee cup.  Well, I'll be honest, it was mostly because I couldn't resist the 25% off sale.  That's why I bought the set.  But only because it had the coffee cup in it!

I'm not much of a donut-type person.  I'm more of a cupcake person.  And let's face it, donuts don't have the cute factor that cupcakes have.  But the donuts kept nagging at me, and I had to make a couple of cards with them.

This card turned out very different than my original vision.  I just couldn't work my original sketch idea into a card.  The only thing that carried through was the donut.  I thought I had a soft pink glaze pen, but it was much too "hot" for a donut, so I colored the pink with a Copic marker and used a clear glaze pen over the top.  Then I added some fabric paint sprinkles.  It turned out kinda cute!

Notice how the sentiment in the upper left 'sweet spot' balances the donut in the lower right 'sweet spot'.

Supplies:
Stamps - Hero Arts
Paper - GKD PL white
Ink - Memento tuxedo black
Accessories - Copic markers, Sakura clear glaze pen, iridescent white fabric paint, dimensionals, gingham ribbon, scor-pal

I was going to pop the sentiment up in the center of this card, but it looked way too busy.  There was just enough room between the donuts to stamp the sentiment, hence the OLC.  The donuts are colored with Copics, and I used my clear glaze pen once again, but this time on the loopy loops.  These donuts look good enough to eat!

I triangulated the three prominent donuts to be visually appealing, and only needed small portions of the other donuts to complete the visual balance.

Supplies:
Stamps - Hero Arts
Paper - GKD PL white
Ink - Memento tuxedo black
Accessories - Copic markers, Sakura clear glaze pen

And now that I have used this set, I can put it away.  One of my craft resolutions this year is to use every set or stamp I buy before I put it away.  I designated a basket for all my new sets and have it sitting on my craft table.  (I adopted someone else's idea that I read somewhere).  I figure if I have to have a stamp bad enough to buy it, I have to use it before it gets lost in the mass of rubber and photo polymer I have in my room.  And by the looks of things, I better get stamping!

What craft resolutions do you have this year?

K

3 comments:

Susan Raihala said...

Cute cards, Karen...cuter than I thought they'd make, which is why I didn't get this set even though I love the coffee cup, too. The glaze pens are perfect for accenting these!

I resolved to use all my stamp images (not sentiments...some of them are hopelessly silly) two years ago. I'm closing in on the end and started the basket for new ones after my birthday. It's really a great tool for keeping me on task! I'm also resolving to do more challenges, start scrapbooking again, and continue with my ongoing "use it or purge it" policy.

Bonnie said...

I like and will adopt your idea of putting your new stamps in a basket until they are used. A great way to remind me that I don't need to buy any more! I also resolve to make fewer cards that can't go through the mail easily and to mail or give away more cards so I don't end up with a huge stockpile.

Those donuts are making me hungry. I think I'll mosey along to the kitchen and see what I can substitue for a dounut.

Ardyth said...

I've got a basket like that, too! But it's CRAMMED full of stamps that I never seem to get to. Really, I should be spending all my blog-reading time (and FB time - what a time waster!) in my craft room, rather than ordering new stamps!! LOL!