Thursday, October 14, 2010

Basic Layout Four Ways

Yesterday was a very productive day for me to make cards. I was inspired by Susan's Simplicity post where she used some new DP she got. Well, I don't have any new DP to use, but I have two (big) drawers full of DP that I've had for a long time. Like I said before, if it comes back in my room, it has to be used. And it was time to use some of it.


It is a challenge for me to use DP on a CAS card because just the thought of patterned paper conflicts with the simplicity of a CAS card. Patterns aren't simple, they're busy, and a little can go a long way in CAS style!

I used a basic CAS layout that I have used before, but one of the cards Susan made prompted me to use it again, so I changed it up a bit for each card I made.


I really liked the bling/sentiment combo I used last week, so I used it again here. The dotted lines in the DP reminded me of a butterfly in flight, so I inked up my previously unused butterfly stamp and punched 'im out.


This card took the longest to make. It took me a while to get all the elements balanced while still keeping it CAS. The DP is the reverse side of the previous card.

I decided to change this one up with a colored card base.

The flower on here was a left-over from a previous failed card. I'm glad I could give it a good home.

You can see how you can change the placement of the sentiment and/or focal point while still using the same basic layout to get four completely different looking cards. That is what made this so fun for me.

This is a total case from Susan's card. I love this DP, but it may not have been the best choice for this style card.

And saving the best for last...

This is my favorite. I had to walk away from it for a while because it just wasn't coming together. Then the idea to score lines to frame the sentiment came to me. And I think that is what makes this card. Sometimes you just have to give it a little time and walk away. The answer may not come right away, or even ever, but cards have a way of working themselves out. At least that is what I tell myself!

What you do to change up the cards you make? Do you have a favorite layout you always turn to, or are you always trying something new? Do tell.

K

1 comment:

Jess said...

I think these are all great Karen! I especially like the last one too. I seem to have a 'fallback' layout for cards which is to have a large focal element on the left hand side and the sentiment beside it. Don't ask me why though! :)