Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sitting Garden Progress and Will it Ever End???










Last Sunday was a beautiful day, and since it was Mother's Day, we all went to the nursery to pick out some flowers for my sitting garden.  Mother's Day is usually around the same time as the average last frost in this neck of the woods, so that is when everyone flocks to the nurseries.  I should have known better.  My family ditched me after about 15 minutes of trying to find our way around the rows and rows of plants and through the sea of people.  Thanks a lot, guys!

I had not been to this nursery before, but they had good prices and a good reputation.  It was not very well organized.  There weren't any signs anywhere, and I couldn't seem to find any order to how the plants were placed.  So I snagged one of the employees to help me.  It still took us about an hour (or more) to find everything on my list.  I would probably still be there searching for the lavender had she not helped me.  It's a good thing there was live music to keep my family entertained!  They finally ended up going back to the truck, deserting me for good.

Once we got home, I set out all my flowers and started planting.  By the time I got done it was completely dark, and I couldn't even see what or where I was watering.  I did get to see Tippy, our resident black fox, come trotting across our yard, up and over the patio, and back to the corner of the yard on his way home.  I was hoping he didn't decide to come back and dig up all my newly planted flowers.

Here are some of the flowers I planted.


Pussytoes.  This is a ground cover that I had never seen before, but I liked the fuzzy red flowers atop skinny 6" stems with silver-green foliage.


Scabiosa or pin cushion flower.  I bought pink and purple ones.


Forget-me-nots.  I love these tiny blue flowers.


Asters.  I have never had white asters before, but I really liked these.  I will have enough purple with my other flowers.


Sweet Woodruff.  Another small perennial with tiny white flowers.


English lavender.  Mmmm.  Can't wait to smell this one!


Flax.  Another pretty blue flower with feathery foilage.  I'm all about variety here.


This is what it looks like all together.  I also planted some day lillies, purple coneflower, gayfeather, coreopsis, dahlias, and back-eyed-susans that aren't picture worthy at the moment.  I am still going to plant the top tier, but that will have to wait.  Oh, and I also planted...

Snow in Summer.

I didn't mean for it to be taken literally...

This is what we woke up to this morning.  Snow in spring!  Two inches of the heavy wet stuff!  Will it ever end?  I knew there was a reason for my hesitation in planting my garden.

 
                                                           Chives


My poor lilacs doubled over from the weight of the heavy snow.


                                                            Tulips yesterday.


                                                                 Tulips today.

And it's not over yet.  We are supposed to get more snow tonight!  Global warming sure isn't happening here, that's for sure!

Would whoever is in charge of the weather please give us a break?  Everyone I know wants it to be warm.  Pretty please?  With pink icing and sugar on top?

Thanks!




1 comment:

Brenda R said...

I came to look at your card in the OLW4 challenge, but I've also enjoyed looking at your photos of flowers. I got some scabiosa this year for the first time. Flax is easy-it keeps spreading. It's been too darn cold here, but luckily no snow.