Monday, May 24, 2010

Penned Border



Here is another great idea I got from reading Susan's Simplicity blog.  (I'm sure it was on her blog, but I couldn't find the post to link it here.  :{  I penned frames around my daisy cards a couple weeks ago, but this is a little different in that it is a border frame.  I made a template out of a piece of GKD 120# cardstock with 1/2" borders, then penned away.


The inside says "your ears are hairier than you head".  A perfect card for an 'older' gentleman!

Penning a border is a great way to tie an image and a sentiment together as you can see on this card.  It is a great technique for a one layer card.

Supplies used:
Stamps - Rubbernecker Stamp Company "Murry Rubbing Head", GKD you know you're old when...
Paper - GKD PL white
Ink - Memento black
Accessories - self-made 1/2" border template, Zig writer, SAMJ, Copics

Here is another penned border card I made for my husband for his birthday.

Very simple, but gets the point across nicely.  This is a great look for masculine cards.  No frills or embellishments needed.

If you look closely, you can see why it is of utmost importance that you let your ink dry completely before erasing the pencil guideline.  In my haste, I smeared birthday when I erased too soon.  I thought Memento dried fast, but apparently not that fast!  From now on, I will give it a blast with my heat gun if I'm in a hurry.

Supplies used:
Stamps - CHF golf backgrounder
Paper - GKD PL white
Ink - Memento black
Accessories - 1/2" border template, Zig writer, SAMJ, Copics

Hope you enjoyed this technique.  It can give a simple card a little WOW!

K

2 comments:

jimlynn said...

These are just WONDERFUL!! Love the sentiment on the "old man" card. So cute. I'm going to have to try to do this frame thing. It really makes them nice.
Lynn

Susan Raihala said...

OMG, I laughed out loud when I read the inside comment of the old man card. My DH shaves his head (less embarrassing than his Phil Collins peninsula of hair on top, surrounded by bare nekkid skin) and he's recently needed his ear hair trimmed. He teases me about all my gray, so fair is fair.

Great idea to use this outline technique on dude cards, in particular.