Saturday, May 8, 2010

Compost is a Good Thing

If you live in Colorado and want to have a nice garden, you most likely have to embellish your soil; and compost is a good thing.  (Like how I tied it in to stamping?  heehee!)  The soil in my sitting garden area is the color of sand, and has no organic matter whatsoever.  I'm sure if I didn't add anything to it, I would have nothing but weeds growing at the end of the summer.

Our weather finally cooperated, and we haven't had any precipitation for a while, so I ordered 3 yards of compost to be delivered.  Fortunately for me, it was delivered the day I work which so happened to be the day before our community garage sale.  That meant that my dear hubby got to move it all off of the driveway!  I'm not sure how it worked out that way, but I'm not complaining.  I got to rake it all out after it was dumped into my sitting garden, and then I tilled it in.  That was the fun part.

The next fun part will be going to the nursery to pick out all my flowers.  I made a list a while back, and when I looked at it again today, I couldn't remember what a lot of them were.  So who knows what my flower garden is going to look like!  I'm sure it will look better than this...


I am a little hesitant to plant anything, especially in my vegetable garden since we have had such wacky weather over the winter and into the spring. The average last frost date for Denver is May 2, but for some reason I feel I should wait. Our temperatures have seemed cooler than normal, and it has me a little nervous.  We've only had a handful of days that we could wear shorts without getting chilled.

At least I've made a little progress this week and my beds are ready for planting now.  This has been 3 years in the making, and I am anxious to get it done.

How are your gardens growing so far this year?

K

No comments: